Book Review Unbound by Penelope Bloom
Book Title Unbound
Author Penelope Bloom
Series Confluence Academy Book 1
Genre Romantasy, Fantasy Romance
Publication Date May 27, 2025
Page Count / Format (physical, e book, audio book)
Rating A Well-Marked Way
There are not any plot and main story spoilers here, but there are sneak peaks into the characters deranged little minds.
Opening Reflection
I devoured this book. There were happy moments, suspenseful moments, some damn good character dialogue and inner monologues, and some *almost* sad moments. This book really shows off the authors ability to build and then drag out suspense.
Summary
OK. So. It starts off with the main character just declaring that they’re going to die. Then we’re drug into a surprise school that even the main character can’t believe is real. What is this school? Oh, its Hogwarts, but BETTER. Yup. Why? Because instead of just having a pet cause “yay pets are cute,” its “omg these aren’t just casual mentions of something no one really cares about,” these pets are the key to learning magic. As we move through the story we learn about various other students, and start to get the real picture about this school. This place. Is chaos. There’s unease from the events happening around the school, the school events specifically, the deaths of several students, and some characters you really can’t be sure to trust. I’m still feeling distrust in general at most of these characters. And the ending? Let’s just say that I’m already dying for the next one. This book is now an emotional need. I am invested, and I need to know what is going to happen next.
Themes & Atmosphere
Nailing down the theme and atmosphere for this book is easy: when push comes to shove you do what you must to survive. Trying to hold onto the good within your self is important, but don’t let that overshadow what you have to do. The line to walk here is thin and fragile, but if you can manage to stay on your toes then you just might mostly make it. Don’t fear change, it always comes. Change does not give a damn about you, it has one goal and blindly runs into it. Be like change. Be the bull running through the pane of glass that is your goal. Don’t just reach it, shatter it and claim it. Announce to the world “I’m here.”
Characters
If I were to try to separate out characters from this story who have flaws, I’d have no one in the “unflawed” section. Beck and Brunhild are unhinged. Mireen is obsessed with collecting rats. You read that right. Mireen is collecting (and distributing) rats. Nessa gates her self. Raith hates himself. Ambrose is too focused on learning everything, which is hard to label as a flaw considering knowledge really is powerful. Throughout the story, some relationships are heavily tested. The detail of how other characters appear versus what they say was done wonderfully. It really put the spotlight on how alive this world was. I feel like Bastion could have developed a little further, but as of right now I firmly feel like that is also part of the lead up to book 2 and have high hopes of seeing more of his development as the story develops. Hopefully he takes more of a front row role in the second book instead of only working in the shadows during the first book. I am also interested how the tensions build between him and Raith. Also, as a little side note to the author if they ever read this. Bartemus should be protected at all costs.
Writing Style
The writing style read and felt like romantasy. The language and descriptions flowed beautifully, giving the readers everything they needed in little bits at a time. The pacing alternated like a good book should. It hooked me in with curiosity immediately, and then seriously drug it out. If you pay attention as you read, there are plenty of foreshadowing moments. I think they’re sprinkled about nicely, providing suspense, weaving distrust, and pulling you in further. It becomes a mystery you want to fully solve and watch unravel.
World building / Setting
The world we are transported into for this book is a little confusing. There are vague, bare hints/details dropped through the story in the form of the main character’s inner thoughts. Some details are told from the brainy one of the group. While I do enjoy being told about the story through the characters when it comes to history, I do wish she had done a little more explaining not in the form of dialogue or monologues. The scenes described give you enough to get a glimpse of it, but maybe its just the crazy reading in me craving more. There was no way for the world to feel as merely a backdrop. Outside forces beyond what individual scenes had happening slipped back in through character mention or thought. It’s always kept at the back of your mind.
Personal Reflection
This book was definitely a much needed read. It had steady pacing, constantly made me question pieces I was trying to put together as the story progressed, and found myself quickly immersed. Lingering thoughts from reading. This book left me with questions and the need for more, even from the first page. I found myself questioning everything and pausing to just stare and blink at the wall. (I’m specifically referring to Mireen’s obsession with rats. Don’t get me wrong, I think some rats are cute. But I definitely don’t look at them as Mireen did.) In a way, I think this little quirk of hers showcases how desperately Mireen’s internal struggle is, there is a little snippet during some of these scenes where Mireen sorta reveals that reason. It’s kinda heartbreaking if you sit and think on it long enough. I just wanna hug her, even if it means rats will flood out of her pockets and swarm me. This book makes you connect with the characters on almost a psychological level. The way the author writes the interactions and observations of the main character has a very psychological feel to it. That honestly might have been my biggest pull to it. She really does well in terms of character development and display through the book.
Closing Thoughts
The magic system is amazing, the plot is grows thicker with every page, but if you don’t vibe with slow-burn romance stories, then this might get you a little heated. If you have read the Harley Merlin series by Bella Forrest, or the Chronicles of Kerrigan by W.J. May, or the Grey Wolves series by Quinn
Loftis, or the Flame and the Arrow by Emigh Cannaday then you’ll definitely 100% enjoy this series. There are a few erotic scenes in the book if you’re curious. But this is plot with porn, not porn without plot. Not a fade to black type of romance story either. All in all, this book was a good read. I got through it quickly-ish (life be doing its thing). It wasn’t horribly difficult to follow.
Quotes:
Better to turn yourself into a key piece instead of an expendable pawn, isn’t it?
But surrendering isn’t in my nature, even when logic screams that I should. Maybe I’m still hopeless in a fight, but I can at least prove I have the grit to keep trying. To keep fighting even when victory is impossible.
Beck looks like a loyal dog trying to decide if it should bit the much larger animal potentially threatening its friend.
Then they had better hope one of those blades never decides to turn on its master.
Transparent as a fucking brick
Trust is a luxury of the powerful.
It is the simplest explanation, and humans love simple explanations for complex truths.
I am effective. There’s a difference. If morals or ethics got in the way of what I needed to do, I would simply eat them.
I see truth in people. Is why I trust sexy bear.
Brunhild has no control over where oil spills.
So don’t run from your past. Use it. Grow from it.
Rest? Sexy bear asked me to do thing he likes with tongue and dagger. I even brought the rope.