Paths

MOVED

We have moved! You can now find us here: https://nyxseshat.wordpress.com/

Book Review: Prince of Wolves by Quinn Loftis

 

Book Review: Prince of Wolves by Quinn Loftis

Details:

  • Book Title: Prince of Wolves

  • Author Quinn Loftis

  • Series The Grey Wolves Series

  • Genre YA, Paranormal Werewolves & Shifters Romance, Romantasy

  • Publication Date

  • Page Count / Format (physical, ebook, audiobook)

  • Rating A Well-Marked Way


Opening Reflection / Summary (Spoiler-Free)


This book pulls you in immediately with descriptions of the main character sneakily watching out her window to spy on the neighbors incoming foreign exchange student. Then bam. She’s hearing voices in her head, and she’s calling for backup: the most wonderful two besties a girl could ever ask for. Everything that happens from there is rather quick, but the author does it amazingly. There’s plenty of thoughts and feelings from the characters that you don’t realize just how far you’ve read. If you’re looking for spicy werewolf type books, this does not have spice. This is a fade to black. But wait! Hear me out! You’ll definitely want to add this to your list.


The main characters of this book are Jacquelyn and Fane. However, this book focuses on a whole party of people from Jacque’s parents, to Fane’s parents, to Jacque’s iconic and snarky besties Sally and Jen. Oh Jen. She is the definition of a trouble child, and I absolutely adore her. The tone is a mix of suspense, humor, friendships are bonds that cannot be broken, and nothing is too far for love to go. Heads up. You will have all the feelings. Sometimes multiple feelings at once. You will cry, you will laugh, you will crash out. Every book adds onto the plot.


Themes & Atmosphere


This book discusses emotional depth in a way that makes you relate to every single character you discover. It’s deeper than it appears at first glance. There are themes of longing, loneliness, love, heart break, destruction, trauma, bonding, friendship, having the strength to keep going. I could keep going. The atmosphere of this book was oddly grounding even while being thrown curve balls. Curve balls are this author’s specialty. I swear they have a degree in it. It was nice to have the dramatic moments not be so sudden. There’s lead up to everything, it builds suspense and then drags it out. It’s a good read.


Characters


Having to pick out which characters stuck out to me the most in this book is not just difficult, but it’s practically impossible! There is so much emotional depth to all of her characters, that it makes it hard not to love each and every one of them. Was it just me that felt everything they felt? Is it me? Am I the emotional problem? Either way, I guess if I absolutely had to pick one favorite character from ONLY book one, it would be Jacque herself. She’s definitely unique and stands out quickly within the first few lines. The author does a fantastic job of displaying character’s weaknesses, and sometimes using them against her characters. This is the type of book that when you meet the characters, you can instantly tell how much time and thought and work was put into them. When you can see the time the author put into their work polishing it, it just gives you a filling of amazement, wonder, and love. I think they had character development progress steadily throughout the series. These characters feel alive. They change, they react and think and plan differently. They huddle close when things get rough. They process through their emotions, each in a different and unique way.


Writing Style


The prose was relatively straight forward. It was consistent, precise, and added just enough flavor to the work. This pacing was quick though. While there are pausing moments to give the characters and the reader a relaxing moment, don’t mistake this book for not being full of conspiracies, people who want to disrupt the natural order, and a certain magical influence. The writing style fit the story nicely.


Some of my favorite lines from the book:

  • I can’t say that I have ever gotten bored. Humans are too interesting to ever get bored by them. – Sorin

  • I’m going to be conveniently occupied with something that would normally be unimportant but for some reason at that exact moment needs my undivided attention – Jacque

  • Oh, by all means, don’t mind us, the non-voodoo freaks; we’ll just hang out while ya’ll make out mentally- Jen

  • Well, seeing as how you seem to think you deserve something from me, I thought I would indulge you just a little, but I assure you my intentions were completely rude! – Jacque

  • You do realize who you are asking right? ‘Cause I just asked you who spit in your pizza and you knew exactly what I meant. So, I’m just saying, I might not be the best judge of any oddities you have. -Jen

  • Had Fane done some Romanian voodoo on her? ‘Cause she would so do some voodoo up on his ass if he did. - Jacque


World building / Setting


This book is mostly set in the real world. It gives you a general area to go off of, but doesn’t over complicate what readers already expect to find in the real world. For the sections not focused on the real world, there are enough descriptions so that the readers know what’s important, or specifically noticed by the characters. I would definitely say this world was immersive because it was so relatable. It felt lived in. Daily routines were mentioned, real life problems were mentioned. It was far from just a backdrop.


Personal Reflection


This book, and every book in the series that follows it, are immersive, emotional, and powerfully driven by the characters wants. While I do wish I had a more 18+ type story like this for the gutter within my brain, I am still reading it. This is a fully fleshed out and realized dream come to life type of book. If you’re into werewolf romance types, you’ll enjoy this slightly less spicy story.


Critiques & Considerations


I honestly cannot think of any points where it lacked. Each book has added more details to the plot, revealing a larger issue to the characters. These stories are linked together by more than just the main characters. If you do not enjoy books that will make you feel a large range of emotions from disgust to joy to uncontrollable sobbing, then you will not enjoy this book. This is a highly emotional, immersive story. You will fall in love with all the quirky characters. If you like strong female MCs who are not perfect, inappropriately sassy at times, and loyal till the end…. Well you just found your next addiction. Don’t forget to eat. Drink water in between coffee and tea splurges. Eat more than chips. This is a long ride buttercup.


Closing Thoughts / Recommendation


This book feels like a good intro into werewolf romance type stories. It has it’s own unique twist to the mate bond that will both touch your heart and break it at the same time. The world building is on point. The characters are hilariously flawed and add comedy to attempt to ease the tension from the troubles they have to fight through.


Optional Extras

  • Favorite Quote “Where are you love and what mischief have you and your side kicks gotten in to?” Fane asked her.

  • Mood Board Words Quirky, Heart-felt, Emotional

  • Who This Book Is For Werewolf romance, fade to black romances

  • Reading Experience Fast paced, not instant love, but quick acceptance.