MyShelf Top 8
Introduction
I am not one of those people who will say they have a hard time picking their favorite books. Yes, I have read a lot over the years and I loved *almost* every single book I’ve put my hands on. But, there are eight books I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt are the best books in my personal library. Why 8? Two reasons. (1) Two of my other favorites I have not read in long enough I cannot fully remember every single detail, so this main list is focused on my favorites that I basically have memorized. (2) MySpace Top 8 vibes. I have read them multiple times. Any book friends I have will testify that they’ve heard me mention all of these titles no less than about 5 times. Hell, if you interacted with me online I’ve prob mentioned these books. There are just some books that stick with you.
Before we move on let’s talk about the honorable mentions that I still treasure even though I haven’t read them in a while. The first one was the first James Patterson book I ever read called Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas. My sister in law was awesome enough to get me a signed copy! It’s the only signed copy I have of any book ever. It’s a tragic love story. The second one is King Arthur inspired. It’s called Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell, and follows a young motherless girl. It’s formatted as if it’s an epic poem, and it’s beautifully put together and every little piece of it was put together with so much obvious love and detail.
I am not saying all other books are trash compared to the rest of my list. What I am saying is that each and every book on this list touched me in some way, shape or form. Not all of them are happy, some inspire deep thinking, and some spawn inspiration for my own writings. One of these books drives me as a writer. I have read it again and again, and loved it enough that I bought another copy on my kindle so I could carry it with me easier than my paperbacks. Let us know in the comments section or in the discord what ten books you would pick as your favorites. I’m talking books that stay with you, that you replay in your head at random moments during the day. These are the books I want to know about.
The List
[Book #8] - Breathless by Dean Koontz
Quick Summary: Breathless is about new beginnings. The book is written as if its trying to almost gently let the story unfold. The way the mystery is presented fills you with curiosity instead of dread. It gives you wonder through animals with scenes that build the unknowing of the plot.
Why It's on My List:
Grady, Merlin, and Camillia make an interesting trio. Henry Rouvroy is a madman, and I feel bad for Jim and his wife Nora. That’s a whole box of issues I don’t think we have time to unpack here. Ask about it in the discord or comments! Lamar Woolsey is an interesting side story. Tom Bigger. I’m unsure if he “received gods message” or if he’s just ‘different’. Marcus is a ghost.
Theme: I would say the biggest theme of Breathless is wonder at the unknown and not being afraid. There’s always some unseen part in every story, and I think Henry, Tom, and Lamar all hint at this.
The one thing that ticked me off about this book was the “lackluster” ending. The book just kind of comes to a stop. The threads between characters are left undisclosed. I have a love hate relationship with books that end like this. I enjoy making conspiracy theories about the story, it keeps us talking about the book in the long run. However. From a strictly reader POV: Dean Koontz. WRITE A SEQUEL. Still obsessed with the book though.
The writing style of Breathless is relaxed. It makes me feel confidence from the writer. He knows his story is unique, and let’s the words themselves do the talking. Words are powerful, after all. It was definitely a refreshing read. I was mentally engaged and curious without being on edge the whole time. Pacing wise the story just flows smoothly along without hitting any bumps.
Who I Recommend It To: I’d recommend this book to people who love Eco-thrillers, but have high doses of anxiety over the world ending. This book is like dipping your toes into the topic/genre. It’s beautiful, intriguing, and curious. It’s also heavy on symbolism so anyone with a “loves literature” heart will soak this right up.
[Book #07] – Season of the Harvest by Michael R. Hicks
Quick Summary: Alien bugs, an FBI agent, and a clowder of cats walk into a bar. You can read that sentence again. Aliens, federal agents, and CATS. I love that cats get some love in this book in the most badass way possible. The trilogy is addictive, full of action, hints at romance, international conflicts, the risk of the entire planet literally depends on the main characters.
Why It's on My List:
There are a lot of characters in this book so I’m just going to list the three personal favorites: Jack Dawson, Naomi Perrault, Agent Richards and Renee. Renee is my personal FAVORITE character in this book. She has brains, compassion, common sense, and unending sass. It’s beautiful. I love her. Girl crush.
The plot structure in regards to timing was put together well. It didn’t feel rushed, but you knew the stakes if they sat around doing nothing for days.
It was interesting reading about the seed banks in the book and then googling them. The book was well researched in my opinion, and you could see the time it took for them to piece every little plot point together. Honestly, the biggest theme that stands out to me for this book is being aware of what you eat, where it comes from, and how it’s grown. There’s also little hints of knowing who your politicians really are. There are many ways a nation can be brought down from the inside. This book will make you consider rethinking how you look into things in real life.
This book has snappy dialogue, intrigue, and a steady pace. It never feels rushed, every detail is intentional and purposeful. The twists are a mixture of “I called it” to “wait a ding dang minute now.” The characters don’t feel out of place, and they act consistently.
Who I Recommend It To: If you’re into secret agents, spies, cover-ups and aliens. This book is literally made for you. If you like books with high stakes, steady action, and quirky one liners then read it.
[Book #06] – Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
Quick Summary: This book follows Ayla, a young orphan during ancient times when people were just evolving. There is a distinct difference in different species referred to as “The Clan” and the “Others.” Ayla is one of the others than the clan takes in, trying to teach their ways to her. This book is graphic and contains triggering moments. It discusses various topics from survival to rape. In total, its a story of a girl finding her place and her people in an unforgiving world of death.
Why It's on My List:
I connected with so many characters throughout the book. The side characters are just as well done as the main characters. This series has a lot of depth. Ayla is a strong-willed woman who, slowly gains her confidence, finds herself, and survives (although sometimes it feels like she is just barely surviving for a while there). Brun, the leader of a tribe of clansmen who take Ayla in, is firm in tradition but finds himself veering away from “what he should be doing.” Iza is beautiful, caring, wise, and cunning woman. She gives Ayla the absolute best advantage she possibly could have. Creb is a complicated character, but is a good man. Broud? Fuck him. Enough said. If you don’t hate Broud after reading this book, then you’re not human. I will die on this hill, fight me. Broud is one of the WORST characters I have read about.
There are many overlapping themes in this series. It touches on survival, death, perseverance, love, heartbreak, endurance, and so much more. You will be on a roller coaster of emotions through every page, each installment of the series, and when you reach the last page? You’ll want to read it again. I know I did and have several times since.
Honestly, this was a book I picked up purely from suggestion (you know who you are, thank you, bless you, this was a wonderful read I have read countless times). What connected me to this book was Ayla. I was able to connect with her on so many levels. Her grief, her drive. Just, all of her. I love this character, there’s no way you won’t.
How do I explain this writing style? It’s like if Kristen Britain merged with James Patterson. Its art. The prose is on point. Emotions are pulled out of the reader with such force that the reader has no choice but to feel them. Rhythm is consistent throughout the book, the characters feel 3D so to say. The writing is purposeful and executed beautifully. Overall this book is very immersive.
Who I Recommend It To:
If you love long stories that feel like an epic fantasy without magic complicating it, then you will love this book. There’s no goblins, no dragons, but there are people struggling against the very land they live on. They travel great distances, similar to a nomadic lifestyle. Its real. It’s compelling. It’s emotional. It’s deep. The threads that are woven into the overall story appear seamlessly.
[Book #05] – Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Quick Summary: I feel like everyone knows the general story of this book by now. If you don’t then you’ve been avoiding society in general for too long, how even did you get here? Are you OK? Crazy dude makes a crazy dinosaur experiment and chaos happens because humans can’t control dinosaurs. Tada, there’s the whole story. So why should you read it? The movie tells the story already, whats the point? First off, the movie tells a half-ass copy of the actual story. (I need to clarify that while I’m sitting here hating on the movies, I own every single one of them.) You know how you hear about books and movies being different, right? That’s more true than you realize. Read this book, and you’ll see what I mean. The movies changed everything. It really feels like the movie is more of a fan-fic of the book, than the story itself.
Why It's on My List:
Everyone knows the characters. But what if I told you that the movie did a gender swap on two of the characters? Yup. You heard that right. Remember the kids Tim and Lex? They’re not the same in the book. Their experience on the island is not what the movies tell us.
The obvious (and semi-viral) thought on the theme of this book is this: don’t do what they did. Hammond in the movie looks like just an eccentric old man with crazy dreams he doesn’t think through fully. Hammond in the book is fucking nuts, delusional, and cruel without care or concern.
I didn’t read this book until within the last like, I think two-ish years? Maybe three? I’m not a clock. Point is, I rode the train of fans from the movie until I got knocked off and found the book. (Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the movies. Again, I own all of them. Park and World. And the Netflix show Camp Cretaceous is actually decent. I love the easter eggs in the Netflix show that reference the book, it just makes me unusually happy.)
The prose of this book is intentional. It builds anxiety, suspense, fear, and a general feeling of unease once it gets deeper into the plot. The plot forces you to look at the big picture and introduces an element of mystery/suspense with some parts.
Who I Recommend It To: The movies have become so big, I would honestly just recommend it to anyone who loves the movies. If you have watched all of the movies and not read the book, you need to hop on it with a quickness. This book is absolutely gripping, and a much bigger plot than the movies say.
[Book #04] – Zoo by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge
Quick Summary: Another Eco-thriller (I might have a type). This one is the threat / actuality of an animal revolution where people are suddenly thrust to the bottom of the food chain. Set in the modern world, we become witnesses to its downfall and how the survivors are barely able to survive. Governments refuse to listen until its too late. Families are torn apart. The world becomes a blood bath.
Why It's on My List:
Jackson Oz has everything a crackpot scientist needs: a threat no one believes, and nothing to support him in the beginning.
I would say the central theme of this entire story is how the general population refuses to believe scientific proof until its literally too late. Its just another guy “fear mongering” until what he says comes to light.
This book was a ride. It’s action packed, suspenseful, and intellectually stimulating. The science mentioned in the book is done beautifully and doesn’t seem to overload the readers with it just being scientific facts simply copied and pasted. The science is directly linked and explained in detail to give the readers an understanding while not giving them the full puzzle pieces.
The prose for this book is stimulating. From the dialogue between characters to the events that they must go through. Everything has a purpose. It emphasizes that even science doesn’t always have the answers, but it might just have the best approach.
Who I Recommend It To:
Anyone who is as obsessed with Eco-thrillers as me will enjoy this book. It’s Jurassic park meets jaws on land.
[Book #03] – Dark Matter by Michelle Paver
Quick Summary: Jack Miller’s journal is the only thing left to tell the story of what happened on an arctic expedition to Gruhuken. It uncovers what lurks in the endless night. This is a book that has the power to make you question life itself, and what comes after. It’s deep. It’s emotional. Its unsettling. And I love it.
Why It's on My List:
Jack Miller is a deranged man searching for his brain, or he is a depressed man trapped at the bottom of life who didn’t ask for this to happen to him. It really could be read either way.
I would say the theme of this book is this: things that lie just under the surface are sometimes the most dangerous things. The supernatural world may or may not exist in reality, but in this book they are the representation of life itself and what comes after.
This book truly left it’s mark on my soul. It’s thought provoking and intense. (Even if it might give me a bit of anxiety when I start to think on what it’s implications could mean.)
The writing style for this book is in journal format. We read various entries from Jack Miller before, during, and after his expedition. We only see his viewpoint and are left to come up with explanations on our own. It’s consistently in Jack’s voice, varying in depth depending on the entry.
Who I Recommend It To:
If you like ghost stories, the human psyche, and seeing how life can mark you even in the afterlife, then this book is written for you.
[Book #02] – Depravity by M.J. Haag
Quick Summary: This book doesn’t seem like it fits with the rest of my list because this is a beauty and the beast retelling. It’s got curses, evil witches, riddles, and a love story that is neither slow burn or a whirlwind romance. It’s complicated, just like the bond between the beauty and the beast.
Why It's on My List:
Benella is as stubborn and independent as a badger. She’s book smart, but life dumb. She learns, don’t worry. She’s not perfect. None of the characters in this book are! They all have flaws that get exploited or exposed. The beast? He’s moody, sexual, spoiled, and also stubborn. Both of them are stubborn. Do you know how frustrating it gets watching them interact? Sometimes I wanted to reach into the book and slap the both of them.
Themes in the book are very obviously directed at corruption. It even touches on the fact that people who just let corruption slide by are just as bad as the ones doing the immoral deeds. It touches on this topic through VARIOUS and MULTIPLE characters throughout the book. Hell the opening scene leads to the discovery of one of these instances.
This book is the best beauty and the best retelling I have personally read. It has depth. It lets us enjoy the world and the characters. There’s growth and development for most, but definitely not all, characters. Karma sorta exists. Some characters face the consequences of their actions. Some learn nothing.
This book has a very personal feel to it. Maybe its the first person narration from Benella. This book gets very personal with the main character. We have access to her thoughts and feelings as she learns and grows. Watching her develop throughout the book just warmed my heart.
Who I Recommend It To:
This book is hands down for anyone who is head over heels with beauty and the beast. However, I think if you enjoy fairy-tale retelling stories in general then you should add this to you TBR. (She also wrote a Cinderella retelling if you’re curious about that one!) If you’ve ever read Chanda Hahn’s series An Unfortunate Fairy Tale then Depravity is the ideal book for you.
[Book #01] – Green Rider by Kristen Britain (1st in the Green Rider Series)
Quick Summary: This is an epic fantasy series about a young woman who is thrust into the middle of a magical conflict with absolutely zero magical knowledge. This starts off a chain of events that puts her beloved kingdom at risk. She is a patriot, she is independent, she is stubborn, she is committed. She started off her journey accidentally, and as she realized the stakes she was up against she locked in and went hard. Throughout the book Karigan not only discovers herself, she discovers what she was meant to do. She discovers love, she discovers compassion greater than what she knew. She discovers determination, never wavering on her path (even though mentally she struggles with it). This book embodies what an action adventure book should be. And it’s world building? Chef’s kiss. It’s glorious. It’s heartfelt and moving, you’ll find yourself quickly invested in the plot and the characters.
Why It's on My List: This book did not make the number one spot without a reason. This is my favorite book of all time. This book is what inspires me to improve my writing. This book connected with me in a way that no other book has even come close to (and I feel very deeply about all of these books on this list).
Karigan is a stubborn asshat you can’t help but love because she feels everything so deeply. She’s loyal, and proves it on a multitude of occasions. She earns her place a lot quicker than she believes she does. She’s reliable and hard-working, always trying her best at everything she does. I have to be careful talking about this book, I would end up just rambling about every scene, every character, every setting, and every event.
The theme to this book is believing in yourself. Things are hard, but as long as you dig within yourself you can and will find the strength to keep fighting. That’s just human nature. This book emphasizes that.
I first read this book in high school. I have since bought it in both physical copies and e-books as well as in the process of buying audio books for each book. I cannot tell you how many times I have read and/or listened to this book. I need to write? It’s my inspiration. I want to read? There it is like a comforting hug to wrap around me. There has not been a single reading I have done of this book where I did not experience every emotion like it was the first time reading it. This book is magical. Am I biased? Maybe, but once you read it you’ll see why.
I get Tolkien or Robert Jordan vibes from this book. The narration of this book of a masterpiece. If I had the brain power to come up with an appropriate rating for this book I would in a heartbeat. Masterpiece doesn’t even do it justice. It gives us epic fantasy lovers all the scenic details we want but doesn’t become a never ending page after page drone about what color every leaf is. We are able to appreciate and love her kingdom just as much as she does. The character growth throughout the story, though? She makes mistakes, she learns, adapts, and overcomes because of her training. Her love and loyalty for her friends is heart-felt and true. There will never be a time I will not be head over heels in love with this book, it is truly eternal. If the author ever sees this I hope you are aware of how much this series means to its readers.
Who I Recommend It To:
I recommend this book to a specific portion of humanity: all of it. Anyone. If you love reading you will see the beauty in the book within the first page, and on every page that follows.
Conclusion:
Every single one of these eight books have touched my very soul. Is that dramatic? Yup. Is it true? Yup. If you’re a reader (and I’m guessing you are since you’re reading this) then you get it. While I generally enjoy almost any book, there truly is a difference in how a book can feel like it changes some part of you. It’s almost like it becomes a part of you. If I were to ever loose any of these books, I would legitimately cry. (More so over green rider than any other here. But im a bit obsessed so don’t mind me.)
I hope this list helped you discover your next read, or maybe inspired you to pick up the book that’s marked your soul the most to read it again. Let us know either in the comments, or in discord what that book is for you! I’d love to know so I can read it! Thanks for sticking with me through all these books, I hope you enjoyed the post! See you on the next path. <3