Deciding on a Path
Who doesn’t love getting a peek at how different readers pick their next book?
Or maybe you’re struggling to pick your next read
and you’re looking for inspiration … I see you … Been there. We’ll get through this.
I have so many books on my TBR list sometimes it feels like a meltdown when trying to pick a new book. I just doom scroll my TBR getting frustrated (or sad, depends on the day) the more I scroll. Or it just turns into another list of “maybes.” If any of that sounds like you. Hey hi hello. Same. Some days just “reaching in and grabbing” works just fine. Some days I tell someone else in the house to pick one. Sometimes its based on my mood. I want a happy book to cheer me up, or a sad book because I’m sad. Sometimes I pick them just to escape because they’re comfortable. I’m looking at you Green Rider, love you. Sometimes I pick them based on being in a super “thinky” mood as I call them. That’s usually when I go for mysteries or thrillers because they make you think. The only time I ever base my next read off of my previous read involves series.
I’ve switched between Season Of The Harvest, Depravity, and The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World all in the same week. What I’m saying is this. Don’t limit yourself to only one type of book. Don’t limit yourself to a genre. Hell, don’t limit yourself to only fiction. You know how some people say variety is the spice of life? Trying new book genres is only part of life. A simple Google search will bring up tons of blogs and vlogs and such by readers talking about how their reading preferences have changed. That's because your brain changes as you age. Your interests, likes, hell even tastes change as you age. So if your current genre isn’t doing it for you and you’re doing a Google on what to read, maybe switch genres.
How do you pick your next read? Let me know in the comments!