Details
Book Title: Zoo
Authors: James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
Series: 1 of 2
Genre Sci-Fi, Fiction, Science Fiction, Action &
Adventure
Publication Date: September 3, 2012
Page Count / Format ebook (kindle)
Rating A Well-Marked Way
This book, was one I legitimately
struggled to put down, both mentally and physically. Even when I had to take
reading breaks (the horror, I know trust me) I was still actively considering
possibilities of what was going on, and how they were going to fix these
problems. I went looking for an eco-thriller and boy howdy did I find one. I have read it more than once, and I listen
to it rather frequently. It’s a very
small selection of books that I am able to read multiple times, and this is one
of them.
Summary
Jackson Oz has everything a crackpot scientist needs: a
theory with little to no believable proof while he screams from the rooftops
trying to warn people. He’s given himself such a bad image, that when he does
try to show proof, he’s basically laughed at. Buckle up for a story that will
make you question your own world, leaving you having to convince yourself it
was just a story and that it couldn’t happen in real life. Right?
Themes & Atmosphere
The atmosphere is mostly focused on it’s job: making the
reader uncertain. There are light moments, which serve as a good break from the
tension caused by various events throughout the story, but the more serious
moments really steal the show here. The authors really did a phenomenal job
keeping the plot as a puzzle for readers throughout the story.
Characters
A brief overview of the characters within the book. Just
enough to tell you their role without telling you their story to avoid
accidental spoilers.
Jackson Oz. The eccentric and analytical scientist.
(protagonist)
Chloe Tousignant, a population ecologist from Paris. (deuteragonist)
Nicole Shaw. A student working on becoming a neurologist.
Atilla. A Chimpanzee.
Mosa. A lioness at a local zoo.
Dominick. A lion at a local zoo, Mosa’s mate.
Abraham Bindix. A “lion man” from Africa.
Eli Oz. An adorable kiddo whose entire role is to cause the
reader ANXIETY. Ahem. Anyway.
Writing Style
Pacing wise, the book moves through the story as if you are
flitting around just enough to get a very basic understanding of what is
happening. The viewpoint is limited as the book is mostly in first person and
pulls a lot of mystery of the situation from the natural limits of first point
of view narration. The use of changing viewpoints is timed perfectly. The first
character point of view from Oz specifically is rather detailed in terms of the
scientific aspect of the book. The characters are barely described physically,
and the focus is on the mental aspects of characters. The relationships between
characters is very fitting. The bonds and tensions are easily felt by the
reader. They are described adequately without being overly long. The writing
style makes the plot really feel like a puzzle for you to solve.
Worldbuilding / Setting
The setting for this book is modern day real life. Because
of this there was very little in terms of scenic descriptors. The world felt
like a backdrop, only bringing into focus parts essential to the plot. It does
describe more in the later chapters as small things change that’re important to
the plot, but nothing long-winded is detailed. Setting seems very “glanced
over” like it should be already understood in terms of appearance.
Personal Reflection
Reading the last page of this book was a very frustrating
experience. Throughout the entire book, there was constant action. The last
little bit felt like just an attempt to find a stopping point. It tried to
install a sense of competition, but it did not do a very good job. I found
myself quickly picking up the sequel. The pacing does not give the reader a
chance to be anything but connected to the story once it gets started (which
does not take long, by the way). While reading I felt like I was literally on
the edge of my seat. I had a million questions with every new event. It was
suspenseful, the characters reactions and dialogue make you wonder how it will
all turn out. You’ll find yourself rooting for Oz and Chloe very quickly.
They’re written as the type of people you can’t imagine not believing in.
Critiques & Considerations
I’ve never been so mad at a book for ending so suddenly.
After the pacing and event brainstorming throughout the book, I was very
shocked and disappointed in the ending. It seemed rushed. Although written
nicely, it still did not give “closure” or “finality.” It leaves room for
interpretation, almost letting the reader decide the ending in their own head.
Closing Thoughts / Recommendation
Overall, even though the ending ticks me off, the book was
absolutely amazing. One book where I would say the word “gripping” is actually
true. It really lets you focus on the plot to the point where it feels like the
plot is going to consume your brain and the world instead the book.
Extras
- Favorite
Quote
This was hard because I have three
favorite quotes from the book, so I’m just gonna list all three!
- KITTY
KATRINA SHAVES HEAD, ATTACKS PAPARAZZI. HAS KITKAT GONE OFF THE DEEP END?
- We will survive because, although we make a mess of things, we have the hope
and faith and will to make things better for ourselves and for those we
love.
- That’s
the way it happens sometimes. Life is flowing along like a fairy tale,
and then you see something that you just can’t categorize. Something that
starts filling your every thought, your every dream your every waking
moment.
- Who
This Book Is For
- Fans
of eco-thrillers with a focus on animals part in an apocalyptic scenario.
An example would be Claw by Katie Berry. If you’ve read that you will
love this book. If you haven’t read that one, what the heck are you
waiting for? It’s seriously good too! If you’ve never tried eco-thrillers
before, start with Zoo by James Patterson, or Breatheless by Dean Koontz.
- Reading
Experience
- It
was a serious mood type read. There’s something about the main characters
that makes you keep rooting for them. Most of this story was one of those
“on the edge of the seat the whole-time” moments. There were few breaks in the tension,
and even during the breaks I swear it was still there.
- Although
there is a “sequel” for this book (in the form of a novella I might add),
technically the book is intended to be a stand-alone thriller according
to Patterson’s official website.
- Zoo is
cowritten by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge and is a full-length standalone
novel. Zoo 2 however is cowritten by Patterson and Max DiLallo and is
only a 160-page long novella.
- The
T.V. show for Zoo made by CBS only ran for three seasons from 2015-2017 and
completely changes the plot of the book. From my current understanding,
the show was canceled due to low ratings. Fair if you ask me, the show is
barely able to be classified “connected” to the book. (Although as a
standalone and separating the show completely from the book, I do wish it
had continued because it introduced a new storyline that I now have no
ending for. So thanks CBS.)